The First Spiritualist Church of Austin opened its doors in 1926 and joined the National Spiritualists Association of Churches in 1928. It was founded by the Reverend August Cervin who had immigrated to America from Sweden with his wife, Jennie, a clairvoyant medium, healer, and a reverend in her own right. Initially Austin Spiritualists met at the old Labor Temple at 10th and Brazos. Sometimes services were held at the Driskill Hotel. When Reverend Cervin died in 1940, it was his daughter Rev. Alma Cervin Johnson who took over from her father and led the Church until her death in 1965. The current location in Hyde Park was purchased in 1941, giving the congregation a permanent home.
Wanda Garcia is the board president of the First Spiritualist Church of Austin, located at 4200 Avenue D . The nearly 100-year-old congregation holds services on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month at 10:00 a.m. Central Time. Church Services are also conducted via Zoom.